Flecainide/Selected Strong CYP2D6 Inhibitors Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Your medicine may slow down how quickly your body processes pimozide.
What might happen:
The amount of flecainide in your blood may increase, which may increase your risk of developing an irregular heartbeat, which may be life threatening.
What you should do about this interaction:
Contact your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) as soon as possible about taking these two medicines together. Your doctor may want change or adjust the dose of one of your medicines, or do tests to monitor and decrease your risk for side effects from flecainide.Let your doctor know right away if you notice and irregular heartbeat or have any dizziness or fainting episodes.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this drug interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not stop start, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Paxil (paroxetine hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Apotex Technologies January, 2017.
- 2.Pexeva (paroxetine mesylate) US prescribing information. Noven Therapeutics, LLC December, 2012.
- 3.Drew BJ, Ackerman MJ, Funk M, Gibler WB, Kligfield P, Menon V, Philippides GJ, Roden DM, Zareba W. Prevention of torsade de pointes in hospital settings: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010 Mar 2;55(9):934-47.
- 4.This information is based on or an extract from the UW Metabolism and Transport Drug Interaction Database (DIDB) Platform, Copyright University of Washington 1999-2014..
- 5.Prozac (fluoxetine hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Eli Lilly and Company October, 2014.
- 6.Lim KS, Cho JY, Jang IJ, Kim BH, Kim J, Jeon JY, Tae YM, Yi S, Eum S, Shin SG, Yu KS. Pharmacokinetic interaction of flecainide and paroxetine in relation to the CYP2D6*10 allele in healthy Korean subjects. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2008 Nov;66(5):660-6.
- 7.Wellbutrin (bupropion hydrochloride) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline December, 2013.
- 8.US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Drug Development and Drug Interactions: Table of Substrates, Inhibitors and Inducers. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/DevelopmentResources/D rugInteractionsLabeling/ucm093664.htm. Updated 08/05/2011.