This medication is used to treat dandruff and other scalp conditions (e.g., itching, scaling, flaking). Salicylic acid and sulfur are known as keratolytic agents. This type of drug causes the skin to shed dead cells from its top layer by increasing the amount of moisture in the skin and dissolving the substance that makes the cells clump together. This effect makes it easier to shed the skin cells, softens the top layer of skin, and decreases scaling and dryness. Salicylic acid belongs to the same class of drugs as aspirin (salicylates).
Follow all directions on the product package, or use as directed by your doctor. If you are uncertain about any of the information, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Shake the container well before use. Wet hair and scalp with water. Apply shampoo to scalp. Rub into the scalp well, working the shampoo into a lather. Leave on the scalp for 5 minutes and then rinse off. Shampoo again as directed and rinse well. Use the shampoo daily or every other day or as directed by your doctor. Once your condition has improved, you may need to use this product only occasionally (1 to 2 times a week).
Do not use large amounts of this medication, apply it more often, or use it for a longer time than directed. Your condition will not clear faster, but the chance for side effects may be increased. You should see some improvement after 2 or 3 treatments. Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens or if you think you have a serious medical problem.
Burning, redness, and peeling skin near the treated area may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, contact your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
If your doctor has directed you to use this medication, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Stop using this medication and tell your doctor immediately if any of these serious side effects occur: severe redness/blistering/peeling of the scalp.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In the US -
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
Before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to salicylic acid or sulfur; or to aspirin; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients (such as fragrance), which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this product, consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have any of the following health problems: cuts/open wounds on the scalp.
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
If you are using this product under your doctor's direction, your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with your doctor or pharmacist first.
Before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you use any of the following: other products used on the treated skin.
This document does not contain all possible interactions. Therefore, before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all the products you use. Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If swallowing or overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. Symptoms of overdose may include: nausea, vomiting, dizziness, hearing problems, tiredness, fast breathing.
Avoid getting this medication on clothing, wood, plastic, metal, or other surfaces because it can cause damage.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Different brands of this medication have different storage needs. Check the product package for instructions on how to store your brand, or ask your pharmacist. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Information last revised March 2013. Copyright(c) 2013 First Databank, Inc.
Sorry. No images are available for this medication.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet