This medication is used to treat mouth (canker) sores. Canker sores usually heal on their own after 7 to 10 days. This medication helps the sore heal faster so that you can eat/speak more comfortably.
Use this medication in the mouth only. Use it as soon as you notice a canker sore forming, usually 4 times daily or as directed by your doctor. Use this medication until the sore heals.
The best time to apply the medication is after brushing/flossing after meals and at bedtime. Wash your hands before applying the medication. Dry the canker sore by patting gently with a soft, clean cloth. Wet the tip of your index finger with a little water, and squeeze a pea-sized amount of the medication onto the fingertip. Gently dab the medication onto the sore. Repeat these steps if you have more than 1 canker sore. Wash your hands after using.
Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same times each day.
Tell your doctor/dentist if your condition worsens or does not improve greatly after 10 days.
Temporary pain, stinging, or burning at the application site may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor/dentist or pharmacist promptly.
Remember that your doctor/dentist has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In the US -
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
Before using amlexanox, tell your doctor/dentist or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor/dentist or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: immune system problems.
Avoid alcohol and nicotine because these products can irritate the sores.
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
Your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with your doctor or pharmacist first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use.
Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If swallowing or overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. Symptoms of overdose or swallowing may include: diarrhea, vomiting.
Do not share this medication with others.
To help heal mouth sores, drink plenty of fluids, practice good oral hygiene (e.g., brushing and flossing regularly), and avoid irritating/acidic foods like citrus fruits and juices (e.g., grapefruit, orange, lemon), tomatoes, and spicy/salty foods. Eat foods cold or at room temperature. Warmer foods might irritate your mouth and throat.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature between 59-86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C). Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Information last revised March 2013. Copyright(c) 2013 First Databank, Inc.
Sorry. No images are available for this medication.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet